Friday, August 20, 2010

Second CHANGE at the Cone House!

Well, as you can see we have lots of changes going on at our house!! The second change is I have decided to take a new job this year. Last year I was working part time as a Title I teacher at Midway Elementary. I loved my job and it was perfect to work a little and be able to spend more time with Davis. I really was blessed last year. But as you know with all the budget cuts part-time is always up in the air these days. So....this past year, I have been looking into the Georgia Cyber Academy as a back up plan because I get to work from home. But this wasn't really much of a back up plan because they had so many applicants!!

I began this interview process back in April and I went to an in person interview and had several phone interviews etc....but come July I still had not heard anything and began to lose hope. To make a long story short I ended up getting the job and I also was offered my job back at Midway so I had a big decision to make. I decided to put our family first. I just couldn't turn down this opportunity to work at home with another baby on the way. It is a full time job, but it is really flexible and I can create my own schedule on most days. I really think this was just another answer to a prayer. So Lance and I thought long and hard about it and I decided to take the GCA job. So, I am teaching third grade math and I am really excited about this new adventure

The best part is, one of my good friends from Midway, Gillette, also got offered a job at GCA and she took it so we are able to work some together and help each other out. This first few weeks has been VERY STRESSFUL just because I have so much to learn, but each day is getting better. My main concern was not having daily face to face contact with my colleagues...I am so big on sharing and collaborating...I love that part about teaching. But, I went to a two day professional developement meeting and was able to meet my team and other teachers in the school. All I have to say is I LOVE my team! They are so nice and helpful and I felt apart of the team from the moment we met, so I know it is meant to be!

I start teaching the week of September 7th, so I am looking forward to getting into a scheduled routine. Until then I am doing lost of administrative type work and getting to know all my parents, so I am spending lots of time on the phone. I will be teaching lessons on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday via Elluminate, on the Internet. Monday is a LONG meeting day (but it is all done online so I am home) and Friday is my day to get organized, plan, hold conferences, hold field trips etc. GCA is a public school so I still get great benefits and the teacher retirement system which is so nice. GCA works with parents that are homeschooling their children. I will be working with these parents and helping them along the way. Anyway, that is just the "skinny" of my new job! I am sure it is one of those jobs that once I get into it I will love it! If you want more info about GCA you can go to their website. www.k12.com/GCA

No comments: