Thursday, December 30, 2010

Davis Gets Tubes!

~December 22, 2010~
Well, the day has come.....Davis had to get tubes! He has had about 5 ear infections, which is not too many, but this last one we could not get rid of. He tried several rounds of antibiotics, then a series of three painful Rocephin shots. The shots finally cleared the infection, but he still had fluid behind his right ear....so off to the ENT we went.
I have been worried about Davis' speech for a while, I kept telling Lance that it sounded muffled, but I also knew that the teacher in me begins to worries about these sort of things too much. I really felt like he was not pronouncing sounds like he used to. He understood everything we said and would follow commands so I was not super worried, but in the back of my mind I thought something was not right. Davis is saying a ton of words but none of his words were very clear.
They did a hearing test at the ENT and we realized that Davis was not hearing very well which of course had me immediately worried. The ENT suggested one more round of antibiotics, but it did not work so I pushed to get tubes ASAP as I did not want this to delay his speech. So, they scheduled us for the 22nd of December.
Davis did great with the surgery! The worst part was he was not scheduled until 11:05, so he did not have anything to eat or drink since 8:00 the night before which was rough! Lance went back with him while they put him to sleep, I am glad he was able to have one of us with him. The doctors warned Lance that he would get extremely fussy and he proved them all wrong. Davis went right to sleep, they told Lance he was the best patient they had that day. The doctor said that the surgery went well, but that he had a large amount of thick fluid behind both ears, which meant he was not hearing much at all.
I cannot believe the difference in his speech, he is speaking so much more clear now and he is trying to say more things each day. Lance and I are so excited to see this!
I cannot say enough good things about Children's Healthcare of Atlanta! They took such good care of Davis! They even had clowns that came to each of the rooms with toys, tricks, and they even sang Christmas songs....Davis LOVED this!
Waiting for Surgery
Picking a prize out of the prize closet with Daddy! Davis picked a set of three construction trucks.

Davis waiting for Surgery here!
Me ~ 30 Weeks Pregnant

He was not to sure of his gown!




Davis was running around the surgery center like he owned the place. The nurses told him he could run around all he wanted to. His favorite place was the chalkboard wall. He also blew everyone kisses as they left the surgery center.....he is a mess!




We are so thankful that everything went well! Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers.

2 comments:

Jon, Janice, Kaylee, & Regan said...

So happy all went well!

Hillary Hull said...

What a precious, sweet little boy you have:) I'm so glad everything went well, too!